I've put together a Kickstarter project to write a book on Regency-era trims. I'd love your support over the next 30 days.
Please support this production of an illustrated book showing examples of extant trims and tutorials showing how to make them. This will be your go-to book on trims, frills and furbelows from the 18th-19th Century.
Why is this project different?
Padded hemlines, decorative furbelows, pleated applique trims, cut-outs, ruffles, piping, soutache, buttons....oh my!
There are many books available with a broader scope of different fashion eras, but Aylwen's goal is to focus on trimmings of the late 18th century and early 19th century and expand on the details of technique. There is a growing group of costume enthusiasts who wish to enhance their Jane Austen, Regency, Empire and Biedermeier gowns and learn how to make all the lovely trims you see in the pictures. This full-colour A4 book (21.0 x 29.7cm OR 8.27 x 11.69 inches) will study the construction details of historic trimmings so they can be added to skirts, bodices, and sleeves. You will see close-up photographs of both the front & back of the trimmings and step-by-step pictorial instructions showing how to make the trimmings so you can add them to your garments without needing to buy any new patterns. Aylwen already has permission from some collections in the United Kingdom and Australia to take photographs for publication and if funding is generous will be able to pay for rights to use photographs from other institutions.
As an extra thank you, Aylwen is making e-books available for Kickstarter subscribers only and will not be offering e-books for sale after this project closes.
- Full-length colour photos of each garment
- High-resolution close-up photos of trim showing both front and back (where possible without damaging a garment) and inside the garment showing how it was attached
- Step-by-step construction tutorials using photographs of an actual reproduction
- Stepping you through making a neckline trim and a hem frill.
How will the funds be used?
The funds raised with this Kickstarter project will enable Aylwen to
- travel in June 2017 to conduct research and take photos of a wide range of garments in the United Kingdom - including garments from the Charles Wade Collection, the Hereford Museum, Victoria & Albert Museum and the Chertsey Museum,
- pay for some of her accommodation during the research period,
- take high-resolution photographs of both original and reproduced trims,
- reproduce trims for how-to-do-it instructions, and
- self-publish an A4 (21.0 x 29.7cm OR 8.27 x 11.69 inches) full colour 100+ page bound book, to be posted out to Kickstarter supporters in December 2017 before launching it to the general public at Jane Austen Festival Australia in April 2018.
|Some of the trims that will be featured in this book.|
- Back this Kickstarter project early so that others can see this is a popular project and likely to succeed,
- Share this Kickstarter project on facebook, live journal and other social media platforms,
- Send emails to family and friends who may be interested and explain to them that you really want this book to be published and that we need more backers to reach our funding goal, and
- Let Aylwen know how she can improve this campaign!
Remember: funding on Kickstarter is all-or-nothing. No one will be charged for a pledge towards a project unless it reaches its funding goal, so thank you in advance for sharing this with your costuming friends over the next 30 days.
Risks and challenges
The biggest challenge with this project is getting the full amount raised to get it off the ground. Aylwen needs to raise funds now to purchase return airfares from Australia to the United Kingdom at low rates as discount seats are selling fast. Permission has already been granted to access certain collections, to take photos and publish them in this book. Aylwen is an experienced desktop publisher having worked on over a hundred books in the last ten years and is looking forward to completing this project.
Aylwen will be relying heavily on people sharing news of this project with their friends in forums and on social media to meet her target. Please share this link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1245085016/trims-frills-and-furbelows