Jul 30, 2012

1780s Stays Diary - Day 1

Last night I started a new set of 1780s stays in preparation for a stays workshop I'm teaching this weekend.

After drawing up the pattern and matching it against a pattern I knew fitted me, I plunged in and got started.

My inspiration  http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O115752/stays-unknown/ 

Three layers - 1 silk, 2 linen canvas. Tacked around the outside of the pattern piece through all three layers.

Starting to backstitch the boning channels. 
I've placed some background images of stays patterns on my facebook page at  https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.453507391355455.104255.126088964097301&type=1

3 comments:

Angela said...

Aylwen. Looking forward to following this process. Question: Do you cut all three layers, then tack them together, then hand stitch the channels for the cane or boning before you piece the whole thing together? Thanks

Aylwen said...

Hi Angela
I cut out my pattern pieces and then traced around it onto the silk with a disappearing pen - that I checked first! I put this piece onto the two other pieces, pinned them lightly and then tacked them together. I've left more around the edge so I can choose how much to trim later. I recommend ironing them all together as well - it seems to help them stick together better.
As I go on it will start to make sense - I've made victorian corsets and this is an entirely different method - more suited to hand stitching.

Angela said...

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions, it is really appreciated. I look forward to the next postings. Which I see there is one more to look at! Cheers

$0 Web Hosting

Total Page Views