Jun 8, 2018

Winter Rye

Today I planted two beds of winter rye that I bought from Eden Seeds. Not sure what variety it is but is certified organic and may survive possum attack better than my poor little spinach seedlings.
I've read that rye will grow in any well-drained soil as long as it is in full sun. It is frost tolerant and can survive temperatures down to -29C (-20F) if the plant is well established before the ground freezes. As I don't expect this bed to go below -10C this winter I'm crossing my fingers that it establishes itself quickly as I've planted it a bit late.
I'm hoping to use the rye to practice on for straw braiding for my bonnets - but if that doesn't work it will be chopped down and dug back into the soil as a winter manure crop.

No comments:

$0 Web Hosting

Total Page Views