May 8, 2011

Antique 1840s skirt

It always amazes me how small and dainty the hand stitching is on early period dresses. It reminds me of an early primary school teacher who, along with my mother and nana, inspired me to have very neat handwriting. Now I have these garments to inspire me with my stitching.
Many of the pictures below are of the inside of the garment - where most of the action is, and where we often do not get an opportunity to see close-up.
You may notice when looking at the skirt that it is hemmed first, then raised it up to the waist to the right length and then turned over at the top over to do the cartridge pleating. I first saw this method described in Jean Hunnisett's Period Costume for Stage & Screen, 1800-1909.
You can see the matching bodice here. A limited-attendance workshop is planned for early 2012 - you'll get to see this garment up-close and make a reproduction for yourself. Send your expressions of interest to Aylwen.














This shows a few rows of unpicking - it could have been a growth tuck let out. 

2 comments:

Costume and Construction said...

Thank you very much for posting these images of the skirt -- and for your post before about the bodice! It's so great to be able to see a close-up view of an extant garment (especially the insides... :). Your photos are great -- you can really see the stitching!

For some reason, 1840s garments are particularly hard to find around where I live, so I think you for sharing these. :)

Aylwen said...

I have a few more garments from this era - see if I get a chance to get the boxes out.
And I'll try to add more information with the pictures - at the moment I've just pasted them in, so thank you for bearing with me.

$0 Web Hosting

Total Page Views